A GRAND CONCERT!
Of all types of Hawaiian Music, on the night of the
SATURDAY NIGHT, THE 26TH OF THIS MONTH!
SEASIDE OF AINAHOU.
There will be some Mele performed with Native Hawaiian instruments, and some with Haole instrments.
By the Famed One
MR. JOHN IOANE UKEKE!
IS THE ORCHESTRATING.
1. IPU PERFORMANCE [LEALEA PAIPU]—4 girls whose steps are like flashes of lightning.
2. CHEST SLAPPING PERFORMANCE [LEALEA PA-I-UMAUMA]—3 boys with swift hand motions.
3. MODERN PERFORMANCE [LEALEA HOU LOA]—4 dolls. The dolls will do a Hula Olapa, and their hand motions will be like those of a human.
4. UKEKE PERFORMANCE [LEALEA UKEKE]—Mr. John Ioane will show his total skill with the metal ukeke (Jew’s harp) with Hawaiian songs and Haole songs—He will exert himself with his ukeke playing in all fashions—[It doesn't help that the image is not clear, but cannot make out the next line and a half. Anyone?] and your hearts will be captured.
5. ULIULI PERFORMANCE [LEALEA ULIULI]—2young children. They will show the fluttering and rattling of this thing, the Uliuli.
6. BANJO PERFORMANCE [LEALEA BANJO]—S. Kalama will exhibit his full skill at the Banjo; and its sound is like the ten-stringed lyre of Mahone [this is probably a reference to a story running in the Kuokoa: "KA MOOLELO O BERIANA KA WIWO OLE A ME MAHONE KE KOA" (4/26/1879–11/20/1880)]
FIVE MINUTE BREAK.
7. ACCORDIAN PERFORMANCE [LEALEA KOLIANA]—Henere [Henry] will show his skill at playing the Accordian, and the sounds he makes: Chinese, hoaeae, oli and the musical scale [pakoli]; it will make the crowd laugh and your sides will hurt.
8. OHELO PERFORMANCE [LEALEA OHELO]—2 women. They will show their abilities at this amusement. This is the amusement of the alii of the olden days that they greatly enjoyed.
9. KUI PERFORMANCE [LEALEA KUI]—2 women. These two ladies will display their readiness at this amusement while from their mouths come mele.
10. UKEKE PERFORMANCE [LEALEA UKEKE]—Mr. John Ioane will show his playing of the ukeke with Mele of the King; and this sweet voice of the ukeke will be accompanied by the steps of some girls doing lele this way and that.
11. MODERN PERFORMANCE [LEALEA ANO HOU]—The Famous Mr. Ioane will show once again some new things that will have the audience in stitches.
The doors will open at 7 P. M. Performances begin at 8.
ENTRANCE FEE: $1.00, $ .50. Tickets [Balota ?] available from hand of those in charge as well as at the entrance.
(Ko Hawaii Pae Aina, 6/26/1880, p. 2)