House consumed by fire.
At Lihue, Kauai, a house was consumed by fire. This is the reason for that house burning down: A kitchen fire of one of the children of Solomon’s school, who was cooking something for himself.
He lit the fire and went away to another house, and was there for perhaps half an hour, and the house was immediately destroyed.
The contents of the house lost to the fire was some barrels of Salmon, and some other valuables. This house that was destroyed by fire belonged to Mr. Rice. P. R. Manoa.
Nawiliwili, Kauai, Dec. 6, 1861.
[The original images of Ka Hae Hawaii are available on microfilm, but are still as of yet not available online. *It is always important to check the original image against any available typescript, just to make sure what it is you see is indeed what was originally written!]
(Hae Hawaii, 12/25/1861, p. 4)