Mary Jane Fayerweather Montano’s story continued, 1923.


(Continued from Page 1)

Booth’s dancing hall. The schoolhouse had a cross on the front. From 9 to 12, noon, we had book studies, and from 1 to 4 p. m. we did fancy work in which or teacher was an expert. I was very fond of fancy work and finished my first piece to hang in my guardian’s hall. The picture was of a lamb lying down, holding a flag, with clouds below and sun rays around its head. The picture was large.


In 1851 our guardian, Mr. Reynolds took us to his home, known as Hale Puani (Home of the Quick and Spry). It was a beautiful home now owned by the Catholic mission and a part of their properties in the church grounds. We met two of his wards, Miss Victoria Mizaro and Miss Elizabeth Gravere. He had two older wards who had just left—Miss Hannah Munn, who became Mrs. Sheldon, whose husband edited the old Advertiser under Henry M. Whitney, and Miss Harriet Blanchard, daughter of Captain Blanchard, who brought the missionaries here in 1820 on the brig Thaddeus, who married a Mr. Townsend. Their daughter was Evaline, mother of the present mayor of Honolulu, John H. Wilson.

Nest to the dining room was a big hall for social gatherings. Once a month ladies and gentlemen were invited and then we were all to dress in our best. We had our own dancing shcool once a week and the children of the best families in town were invited to attend. It was there a child was taught manners. If a boy was rude he was shown the door, but never fear, in a few days he was back to apologize.

I disliked one of my teachers very much and told Mr. Reynolds I did not want to continue in his school. But one night at one of his docial affairs Mr. Reynolds called me to introduce me to a gentleman who was to be my teacher. He was Mr. Ingraham. I was told to make a curtsey. I looked at him and liked him at once. I learned he was principal of the charity school at Mililani, where the Judiciary building snow stands. When I told my sister about him she said I should be ashamed of myself to go to the charity school. Our father helped t pay for it. I went to this school and I have never been ashamed of it, for it gave me a good education. Later, after I returned from the home of the Chamberlains at Waialua, I went to this school as an assistant teacher, in place of my friend Clara Armstrong, who resigned.

(To Be Continued)


(Honolulu Advertiser, 12/2/1923, p. 31)


The Honolulu Advertiser, 68th Year, Number 12,898, Second News Section, Page 13. December 2, 1923.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s