Board of Health, Notice!!
The following regulations of the Board of Health are still in force and notice is hereby given that San Francisco is considered a “port known to be infected with small pox.”
It is further ordered that all persons specially permitted to land from any vessels arriving from San Francisco in less than fifteen days passage, shall report in person to the port Physicians at least once a day, until a period of fifteen days, shall have elapsed since leaving San Francisco.
Quarantine regulations and rules adopted by the Hawaiian Board of Health.
1. On the arrival of any vessel at any port of this Kingdom, from a port known to be infected with small pox, though no case of small pox may have occurred on board during the voyage, neither passengers nor crew shall be allowed to land, unless a period of fifteen days shall have elapsed from the time of her sailing.
2. On the arrival of any vessel at any port of this Kingdom, having had or still having any person sick of small pox on board, the vessel shall be detained in quarantine, the sick shall be sent to the quarantine hospital, and the crew and passengers shall be submitted to a quarantine of fifteen days.
3. No person shall leave or visit any quarantined vessel, or any house or enclosure that shall have been set apart for quarantine purposes by the Board of Health, unless by written permission of the Board.
4. Under no circumstances provided for as above, shall clothing or personal baggage be allowed to be put on shore, before having undergone such disinfecting process as may be ordered by the Board of Health.
5. When any vessel shall arrive, having on board or having had on board during the passage, a person diseased with small pox, the whole, or such parts of the ship as my be ordered by the Board of Health to be disinfected, shall be fumigated, or otherwise disinfected, in such manner as my be ordered by the Board, and not until this has been done shall any cargo be discharged from the ship.
6. No mail shall be landed from any vessel having small pox on board during the passage, except by written permission of the President of the Board of Health.
N. B. [nota bene, “note well”] Sections 284, 285, 293 and 294 of the Civil Code of this Kingdom read as follows:
Sections 284. Notice shall be given by the Board of Health of all regulations made by it, by publishing the same in some newspaper of the district, or where there is no such newspaper, by causing them to be posted in three public places of the town or district; and such notice of said regulations shall be deemed legal notice to all persons.
Section 285. Every person who shall violate any regulations of the Board of Health, after the same shall have been published, as provided in the last preceding section, shall be fined not exceeding one hundred dollars.
Section 293. The quarantine regulations so established shall extend to all persons, and all goods and effects arriving in such vessels, and to all persons who may visit or go on board of the same.
Section 294. Notice shall be given of such quarantine regulations by publication in the manner provided in Section 284; and after such notice shall have been given, any person who shall violate any such quarantine regulations, shall be fined a sum not less than five, nor more than five hundred dollars.
H. A. P. CARTER,
President of the Board of Health.
Hoolaha a ka Papa Ola
O na hooponopono ana a ka Papa Ola malalo iho nei, ke mau nei no ka mana, a ke hoike ia aku nei, ua manaoia ke awa o Kapalakiko he “awa i hoomaopopo ia ua kauia e ka Mai Hebera.” Ua kauoha hou ia o na mea a pau i ae pono ia e lele mai luna mai o kekahi moku i ku mai Kapalakiko mai, ina malalo iho o na la he umikumamalima ka manawa o ka holo ana mai, e hoike kino aku imua o ke Kauka o ke Awa, aole e imi i ka hookahi manawa o ka la, a hala na la he umikumamalima mahope iho o ka haalele ana aku ia Kapalakiko.
NO KA HOOPONOPONO HOOMALU A ME NA RULA I APONOIA E KA PAPA OLA HAWAII.
- Ma ke ku ana mai o kekahi moku ma kekahi awa o keia Aupuni, mai kekahi awa i ikeia ua loohia me ka Mai Hebera, ina ua hoea ae oiai e holo mai ana ma ka moana, aole loa e ae ia na ohua a me na luina e lele iuka, aia wale no a hala na la he umikumamalima mahope iho o ka holo ana mai.
- Ma ke ku ana mai o kekahi moku ma kekahi awa o keia Aupuni, ina ua loaa mua iho, a i ole e mau ana no paha ka Mai Hebera maluna o kekahi mea o ua moku la, e hoopaaia ia moku malalo o na hoomalu ana, a e hoounaia aku ka poe mai ma ka Halemai Hoomalu, a e hoomaluia na luina me na ohua no umikumamalima la.
- Aole e aeia kekahi mea e haalele aku a e kipa ae paha, i kekahi moku i hoomaluia, a i kekahi hale a kahua paha i hookaawaleia no ka hoomalu ana a ka Papa Ola, koe wale no malalo o ka palapala ae i kakakuia e ka Papa.
- Aole loa malalo o na kumu e like me ia i hoakakaia maluna ae, e aeia ai na lole aahu a me na ukana pilikino e hoolele ia iuka, mamua ae o na hoomaemae ana a ka Papa Ola e kauoha mai ai.
- Ma ke ku ana mai o kekahi moku, ina aia no maluna ona, a i ole ua loaa mua aku paha, oiai i ka huakai ma ka moana, kekahi mea i loaa me ka Mai Hebera, alaila, o ka moku holookoa, a i ole o kekahi wahi paha o ia moku, e puhi hoomaemaeia, e like me ka makemake a me na kauoha ana a ka Papa Ola, a aia wale no a hooko ia keia mau mea, e hiki ai ke hue ia na ukana.
- Aole loa e hoolei ia kekahi Eke Leta iuka mai luna mai o kekahi moku ina he Mai Hebera ko luna, oiai ma kana holo ana mai ma ka moana, koe wale no malalo o ka palapala ae a ka Peresidena o ka Papa Ola.
O na Pauku 284, 285, 293 a me 294 o ke Kanawai Kivila o keia Aupuni, penei ko lakou heluhelu ana:
Pauku 284. E hoolaha aku ka Papa Ola i na Rula Hooponopono a pau a lakou i kau ai, ma ke pai ana iloko o kekahi nupepa i paiia ma ia apana, a i ole he nupepa ma ia wahi, alaila, ma ke kau ana i palapala lima ma na wahi akea ekolu o ke kulanakauhale, a apana paha; a e manao ia ka hoolaha ana pela i na rula, he hoike ana aku i ku i ke kanawai no na kanaka a pau.
Pauku 285. O kela mea keia mea i uhaki i kekahi Rula Hooponopono o ka Papa Ola mahope o kona hoolahaia ana e like me ka olelo a ka Pauku maluna ae nei, e hoopaiia oia ma ka uku hoopai, aole e oi aku i na dala hookahi haneri.
Pauku 293. O na Rula Hooponopono i ke kaohi ana mai i kauia pela, e pili no lakou i na kanaka a pau i hiki mai maluna o ia mau moku, a i na kanaka a pau e hele ana maluna o ua moku la.
Pauku 294. E hoolahaia na Rula Hooponopono e kaohi mai ana, ma ke paiia ana elike me ka olelo o ka Pauku 284, a mahope o ia hoolaha ana, e hoopaiia ka mea nana i uhaki i kekahi o ia mau Rula Hooponopono kaohi mai, ma ka uku hoopai aole e emi mai malalo o na dala elima, aole hoi e oi aku i na dala he elima haneri.
H. A. P. CARTER,
Peresidena o ka Papa Ola.
Honolulu, Dek. 11, 1880.
[The English anouncement can be found in the PCA, 12/18/1880, p. 3]
(Ko Hawaii Pae Aina, 1/8/1881, p. 2)