[Found under: “NU HOU KULOKO.”]
Saved from near death.—On the 8th of April, at Kaneohe, Koolau, Nakalina and Upai, his wife, ate oopuhue that they caught at sea. When they were eating the oopuhue, they ate both the eggs and the flesh; they became nauseous and felt very strange, and not long after, they both fell down like they were dead. From that day until night and into the next day, some people found them like they were dead. When they were found, a doctor was fetched, and he made them throw up, and they regurgitated a lot, but they regurgitated a little that day and night they were lying down without knowing it. From that time until Thursday last week, they got up and walked for the first time. All they did for two weeks or more was to lie down. Their trouble was because they also ate the eggs, which we hear is deadly to us, but if they had just eaten the eggs, they would have died. They were lucky that their lives were spared. The happenings shown above were by two elderly ones. We hear that some years ago, some people ate the eggs of that fish in the same area, and they died. Therefore, O Friends from Hawaii to Kauai, perhaps this is the first time the new generation hears about this poisonous thing; don’t eat it lest you face disaster.
(Kuokoa, 4/27/1867, p. 2)