George Naope performs at the 1982 Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo: “My type of dancing is not commercial. But it reflects the inner feeling; I guess it’s because I come from the old school…”
* * *
“Hawaiian Heritage Culture Revue,” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Waikiki Shell, will feature a number of Hawaiian acts including the eminent George Naope and his Kona Gardens School of Hawaiian Arts.
Hawaii Talents International is presenting the evening of Hawaiian songs and dances, which also will feature:
- The Dela Cruz Brothers, with the Na Opio Koolau Dancers.
- Ka Ua Kilihune, spotlighting male hula, with Al Barcarse.
- The Nuuanu Brothers, blending Hawaiian and contemporary music with comedy.
- Kawai Liula Halau, led by Chiky Mahoe.
- Kimo Kahoano, master of ceremonies.
Tickets are $12 for reserved seats, $10 for the terrace section, and $8 for general admission. Tickets are available at the Neal Blaisdell Center box office and at STAR outlets.
Boone Morrison photos
George Naope: kumu from ‘the old school’