News from Kawaikapu, Molokai, 1860.

News.

Davida from Kawaikapu, Molokai wrote thus: On the past 16th of April, in the early morning of that day, we went to go spear Turtle, outside of Honomuni, at the area where octopus is fished for [kai okilohee], and we spotted a Turtle, and then we went to a place a little away, from where we first were spearing, and then we saw a large Shark, Continue reading

Advertisements

Sale of oopuhue outlawed, 1945.

Balloon Fish Placed ‘Out of Bounds’ By Board Of Health

THE BALLOON, OR OOPUHUE FISH

The sale of puffer or balloon fish (oopuhue) has been banned by the territorial Board of Health, because of recent outbreaks of balloon fish poisoning which caused hospitalization of several persons, Dr. Richard K. C. Lee, director of public health, announced yesterday. Continue reading

Why is there another oopuhue accident in the same year? 1925.

Eats Balloon Fish; In Critical Condition

Ung Tong Chung of Robello lane and King street is in critical condition in the Queen’s Hospital, suffering from poisoning caused by eating balloon fish or oopuhue. The man was taken from his home early yesterday afternoon to the Emergency Hospital and was later transferred to the Queen’s Hospital. Continue reading

Cause of death confirmed to be poisoning by oopuhue, 1925.

TWO DEATHS DUE TO EATING BALLOON FISH, SAYS CORONER’S JURY

A poisonous variety of oopuhue—balloon fish—caused the death of Leong Tuck and Yong Yen Chong, according to the findings of a coroner’s jury which Thursday investigated the case. Continue reading

Even more deaths from oopuhue, 1925.

TWO CHINESE ARE KILLED BY POISONOUS FISH

Die Shortly After Eating Oopuhue: Autopsy To Be Performed By Dr. Ayer

Two Chinese died suddenly Thursday night a few hours after eating oopuhue, a variety of poisonous fish abounding in Hawaiian waters, and emergency hospital authorities and Coroner Julius W. Asch are today conducting an investigation to determine the exact nature of the poisoning. Continue reading