Balloon Fish Placed ‘Out of Bounds’ By Board Of Health
THE BALLOON, OR OOPUHUE FISH
The sale of puffer or balloon fish (oopuhue) has been banned by the territorial Board of Health, because of recent outbreaks of balloon fish poisoning which caused hospitalization of several persons, Dr. Richard K. C. Lee, director of public health, announced yesterday. Continue reading
Eats Balloon Fish; In Critical Condition
Ung Tong Chung of Robello lane and King street is in critical condition in the Queen’s Hospital, suffering from poisoning caused by eating balloon fish or oopuhue. The man was taken from his home early yesterday afternoon to the Emergency Hospital and was later transferred to the Queen’s Hospital. Continue reading
TWO DEATHS DUE TO EATING BALLOON FISH, SAYS CORONER’S JURY
A poisonous variety of oopuhue—balloon fish—caused the death of Leong Tuck and Yong Yen Chong, according to the findings of a coroner’s jury which Thursday investigated the case. Continue reading
TWO CHINESE ARE KILLED BY POISONOUS FISH
Die Shortly After Eating Oopuhue: Autopsy To Be Performed By Dr. Ayer
Two Chinese died suddenly Thursday night a few hours after eating oopuhue, a variety of poisonous fish abounding in Hawaiian waters, and emergency hospital authorities and Coroner Julius W. Asch are today conducting an investigation to determine the exact nature of the poisoning. Continue reading
Died Without Delay.
Kahou died quickly, a woman in Kipahulu, from eating Oopuhue, a vicious fish of the sea.
On Saturday, the 21st of August, Kahinu, the hunona [son-in-law or daughter-in-law] of that Kahou went casting [lawaia kaili] and caught two fish, one a humuhumu and the other an Oopuhue; Continue reading
[Found under: “NU HOU KULOKO: Maui.”]
At Waiehu, in the morning of the 13th, a family obtained a fish called an oopuhue. That fish of the ocean that is thorny and puffs up its stomach [ia opukeke kalakala].
[Found under: “LOCAL AND GENERAL.”]
A Chinese fisherman was found dead yesterday morning at Iwilei. Continue reading