Mary Pililua, former student at Waialua Girls’ Boarding School, 1881.


Punahoa, Hilo,  June 3, 1881.

Much loved, Miss Mary E. Green

Aloha nui oe:—

And to all the students under your guidance.

Because of your invitation, calling to all the students of Haleiwa from the time of O. H. Gulick until now with questions about that.

I am one of the students during the time of Gulick, and I am happy to answer your questions.

What is your name?

Mary Pililua.

Where do you live?

At Punahoa, Hilo, Hawaii.

What are you doing now?

I do housework, caring for the children and administering to the things pertaining to family life.

Are you married?


If you are married, how many children do you have?

I have five children.

The first one was one month or so and died, the second is 6 years old, the 3rd was 2 years old and died, and the 4th is almost three years old, the 5th is 4 months old.

Is your husband haole perhaps, hapa haole perhaps or Hawaiian perhaps?

I have a Hawaiian husband.

I left that home to educate in the last month of the year 1862 because the school graduated me and I returned to Punaluu, Koolauloa, where I lived with my hanai parents, and after that, I lived and worked under Mr. L. Severance as a caretaker of children, seamstress, housekeeper, and did their errands; I lived with the two of them for a number of months.

And in the month of July, 1871, I married E. K. Wahinehuhu at Kahana, Oahu; the two of us lived there to care for the church. And in the month of June, 1877, we left Kahana and its green valleys and our faces turned toward Honolulu, where we whiled away the time for some weeks.

We left Honolulu for Molokai, and lived at Kaluaha [Kaluaaha] to care for its church, and the two of us lived there for two years, and we did the work of the Lord as He commanded.

Kaluaha is a one of the larger churches on Molokai, and life there is fine; it faces the residences of the seniors and there is one thing that the newcomer will be surprised at, that is the whistling from the windows of the building; it is scary.

We left that work and returned to Honolulu, but did not stay permanently there; we lived there for a number of months and sailed for Kona, Hawaii, and came back to Honolulu, and that is how we lived for some years.

And in April 27, 1879, we came here to Hilo where my husband carried out the business of law.

Hilo is a fine and pleasant land, but it is a very rainy land.

Chiefess Pele continues to crawl slowly toward Hilo, but it is not something for us to be amazed at for only God is the One who knows, because the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

I will never forget the name of Haleiwa, because it was my home where I persevered the hardships and the burdens of searching for  knowledge and I was patient for three years and almost four, therefore, may the status of Haleiwa continue until the end.

To you goes my affection along with all of the students; do continue your position as the mother for Haleiwa given from the great Heavens.


Mary P. Kekoa.

(Kuokoa, 8/20/1881, p. 4)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XX, Helu 34, Aoao 4. Augate 20, 1881.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s