Custom House of Honolulu.
We are adorning these columns of the Kuokoa with a picture of the grand Hale Oihana Dute of Honolulu nei, at the corner of Fort [Papu] and Allen [Alani] Streets. this building was built during the reign of Kamehameha IV., and it was added to at various times when it was found that it was not adequate for the incoming goods to be stored, so it has become very long and wide. This is the entrance [makaha] into the nation, where goods from foreign lands are stored, and duty is collected on taxable items, and not only that, the owners pay a fee for care of their goods in this building by the government. There is a big force of government employees in this bureau under the Department of Finance [Oihana Waiwai], starting with the collector-general and the deputy-collector, and down to the secretary and the storekeeper, guards, and so forth. The money expended to rebuild or perhaps extend this entrance comes from the revenues of the growing public funds due to the duties charged by this entity.
(Kuokoa, 3/16/1895, p. 2)