The Residence of Wasinetona Hale.
We are putting before you the picture of Washington Place on Beritania Street, Honolulu, not because it was the storage for guns and weapons for Liliuokalani, but because it is a very old building constructed in Honolulu nei. The foundation of this house was began with coral blocks by the one called Isaac Adams, for the mother of Governor Dominis, while her husband, Dominis, was sailing as captain aboard a ship from Honolulu to…
…China, trading with places of the North and then returning to Honolulu. And being that Mrs. Dominis, who accompanied her husband, fancied living here in Honolulu, and building a home here to live in, and forever more leaving her own home in the state of Massachusetts, her husband agreed to her request. It was perhaps 1842 when the foundation was laid, but it was not completed until the beginning of 1846. And on August 5, 1846, Captain Dominis left again on a ship under his leadership, but after he left Honolulu for China, there was no word that his ship landed on any dry land until this day.
It was a fine and beautiful house in its early days, and it stands beautifying that area of town until these days in this progressing world we follow, as a monument to the craftsmanship of the time. And the trees and plants surround this house are the results of Mother Dominis’ efforts to plant beautiful garden trees and flowers.
On the 16th of September, 1862, John O. Dominis was married to Lydia Kamakaeha Kapaakea, and she became Queen in 1891. At the death of Mother Dominis, this house and lot by that name was inherited by the husband, and when the husband died, it was inherited then by Liliuokalani Dominis.
(Kuokoa, 3/16/1895, p. 2)