[Found under: “By Authority.”]
In Privy Council, Nov. 24, 1856, it was voted “that a copy of the Resolution assigning names to several streets be given to Mr. Hopkins for publication in the Polynesian:”
The Resolution is as follows:—
“Resolved, That the new street leading up from Beritania street by the King’s Garden, towards the western side of Punch Bowl Hill, be called Emma Street.
“That the short street between the Polynesian Office and the Sailor’s Home be called Paki Street.
“That the street running from Nuuanu Road to Liliha street, above Waikahalulu Falls, be called Wailele Street.
“That the street running from Nuuanu Road towards Kalihi, between Dr. Judd’s house and Mr. Andrew Johnstone’s, be called Kalihi Street.
“That the street running from Nuuanu Road towards Kalihi, inland of the native church, and seaward of Mr. Swinton’s place, be called Maemae Street.
“That the street running from Nuuanu Road towards Punch Bowl Hill, between the Rev. Mr. Bishop’s house and Mr. Robinson’s, be called Ii Street.
“And that the street leading from Nuuanu Road, between the Methodist Chapel and the house of Mr. Everett, be called Kukui Street.“
A true copy from the Minutes of Privy Council, Nov. 10, 1856.
L. ANDREWS, Secretary.
[This description is somewhat different from the one published in Hae Hawaii on 12/3/1856.]
(Polynesian, 11/29/1856, p. 118)