Board of Health and leprosy, 1906.


After the Board of Health [Papa Ola] searched for ten months, they found Mrs. Flora K. Crowell, a Hawaiian woman, and she was taken and detained mauka of the Kalihi Hospital. It is not clear why the Board of Health chased after that woman, but there is something astonishing and unclear about what was done to this woman.

After Mrs. Flora K. Crowell was found by the officers of the Board of Health, she said she was locked away like a prisoner.

This wahine is the birth daughter of Mrs. Hattie Hiram who died on the 5th of November 1905, and she married Clement C. Crowell in the year 1900, and by this marriage the two of them had a daughter; but just six months after they had the girl, she [Flora Crowell] was suspected of having leprosy and taken away to be held at the Kalihi Hospital.

According to the wishes of her mother [Hattie Hiram], she was sent to Japan to be treated along with others who were suspected of having the illness. Being that she did not have the funds to be treated and per her wishes, she came back to Honolulu nei after nine months of being away from here.

When she arrived in Honolulu, she went to live with her mother on Beritania Street, and she was hidden there until the death of her mother. There was no one who knew she was here in Honolulu at the time, except her mother along with another woman named Keluia and George Kaia. However, when her mother was extremely ill, Solomon Hiram came, and because they were speaking so loudly, he showed himself before them; S. Hiram was shocked at seeing her; and it was then that she was subdued by S. Hiram along with George Kaia and Keluia and detained in a building on the grounds, and she was locked inside.

A few days later, while her mother was still alive, she [Flora Crowell] was taken to the place of George Kaia on Young Street, and from there she was then taken to the uplands of Kalihi Valley to live, and from there she was taken to a grass house atop Puowaina, on the road that goes up to Puuohia (Tantalus). She escaped from this place and returned to live at her own home on Beritania Street, and it was there she lived unbeknownst to others, all except an old man who brought her food.

But during her last two days there, that man did not come back, and she almost starved for lack of food; it was only because of the passing by of one of her friends from her youth, that she was brought to that friend’s home on Young Street. This was the daughter of John Kamaki, the one who gave Flora Crowell money to care for herself while in Japan.

At the death of Mrs. Hattie Hiram, John Kamaki came and took care of her funeral, and saw for the first time that here was Mrs. Clement in Honolulu nei. Her baby was being cared for by John Kamaki, who took her after the death of Mrs. H. Hiram.

When Solomon Hiram just left with the Royal Hawaiian Band [Bana Hawaii], he left instructions for some people to keep good watch over Mrs. Clement.

She is now living with her friends mauka of Pauoa, and she has chosen R. W. Breckons as the executor of her estate.

There is no doubt, the quick death of her mother and her being hidden away, will be investigated immediately by the grand jury of this session.

(Kuokoa, 11/2/1906, p. 8)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XLV, Helu 44, Aoao 8. Novemaba 2, 1906.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s