More on the flag from Iolani Palace, 2011.

After putting up the article from 1918 about the search for the flag from the Palace earlier this week, I went to the Archives just to see.


4′ x 12′
Marked on hoists: Royal Hawaiian Islands.
Royal Crest on a gold field. Badly burnt and repaired,
June 1940.

This flag is said to be Queen Liliuokalani’s Royal Standard that was lowered from Iolani Palace on January 17, 1893 by Captain John Good, N. G. H.

Source: Transferred from West Point Museum, Sept. 26, 1978 and received by Gov. George Ariyoshi, Oct. 3, 1978. Transfer arranged by John W. Bryan, Sr. (grandson of Capt. John Good) who originally donated the flag to West Point Museum, in June 1925.

See Correspondence file for further info.

Hawaii State Archives card catalogue

from Archives, 12/9/2011

Hawaiian Flag from Iolani Palace, 1918.


This office [of the Kuokoa] was asked by the caretaker of the museum of antiquities at Kamehameha Schools, if perhaps there was someone who knew the whereabouts of the royal flag of Hawaii nei that was taken down from the flagpole of the palace when the rule of Queen Liliuokalani was snatched away, and being that there is no one here in this office who knows of the flag, therefore it is being asked before the public, and perhaps there is a Hawaiian who knows of the flag, or has heard of where it is kept.

There are many Hawaiian flags, but the one that is greatly desired is the royal flag that was taken down on the 17th of January of the year 1893, which is 25 years ago; and the reason for this great desire to acquire this flag is that it will become something that will remind us of the history of Hawaii and her people.

If there is someone who knows, or who has seen where this royal flag is kept, please inform the head of the museum at Kamehameha Schools, or this office.

(Kuokoa, 8/16/1918, p. 3)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LVI, Helu 33, Aoao 3. Augate 16, 1918.