Keahualono, wahi pana of Hawaii Island, 1916.

KE AHU-A-LONO

This is the border between the two Kona districts and Kohala, and the name of this heap of rocks  [ahu pohaku] is called after Lonoikamakahiki-Kapu-a-ka-Lani, one of the high ruling chiefs of Hawaii nei who is famous in genealogical histories of the high ruling chiefs of Hawaii Island of Keawe.

When Lonoikamakahiki went with his troops and camped at this place, the Marshals [Ilamuku] built this mound of rocks and called it by the name “Ke Ahu-a-Lono,” after the name of Lonoikamakahiki, the ruling chief. That is how this pile of rocks is known until today, an unforgettable monument built by the foremost war leaders [pukaua] of Lonoikamakahiki, so that the generations of this time would remember the truly famous deeds of our forefathers who passed on; and of that sacred name Lonoikamakahiki-Kapu-a-ka-Lani. The locals of Puuanahulu are familiar with this ahu pohaku.

(Hoku o Hawaii, 2/17/1916, p. 4)

HokuoHawaii_2_17_1916_4.png

Ka Hoku o Hawaii, Buke 10, Helu 37, Aoao 4. Feberuari 17, 1916.