Streets of Honolulu, 1856.

Some Names of Government Streets here in Honolulu.—The Privy Council of the King pronounced:

The street between Beretania Street and Ii Street is Emma Street; the street between the Polynesian printing house and the Sailors’ House is Paki Street; the street between Nuuanu Street and Liliha Street upland of Waikahalulu Falls is Wailele Street; Continue reading

Advertisements

Kaahumanu Society gathering in Haleiwa, 1870.

[Found under: “NU HOU KULOKO: Oahu.”]

Kaahumanu Society.—The Society had a banquet on this past 30th of July, as was advertised in the Kuokoa, and there was just so much food. The Society paraded from the schoolhouse in Haleiwa to the church, and the event was opened with a prayer by J. N. Paikuli.—Himeni—Speech by S. N. Emerson, and after that was done—Himeni—The Chapter 1 of Honolulu stood, and after that—The Chapter 2 of Honolulu stood, and after that—Himeni—and after the ceremonies at the church was over—they paraded to the schoolhouse, and that was where they had their banquet. Those who took part were only those on the roster, and the families of the Society,—that concluded the function. The Ahahui convened again that night at 6:30, and 12 more members joined the Society, making the total members 30 or more.

[Although it has been said that the Kaahumanu Society disbanded at the death of Princess Victoria Kamamalu in 1866, there is this report of a meeting at Liliuokalani Church.]

(Kuokoa, 8/6/1870, p. 2)

Kuokoa_8_6_1870_2

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke IX, Helu 32, Aoao 2. Augate 6, 1870.