Wreck of the “Pride of Hawaii.”
In the year 1824, the yacht of Kamehameha II, called “Ka Haaheo o Hawaii,” formerly the “Cleopatra’s Barge,” was wrecked at Waioli, in the Bay of Hanalei, Kauai. An unsuccessful attempt was made by the chiefs to haul her up on to the shore, but her masts broke off and she rolled back outside the reef, where she was abandoned and lost. We learn from a correspondent of the Hae Hawaii that two of her guns, of which she was provided with four, have been found by divers and brought ashore, together with some of her iron and copper work. What would appear strange in the account of Mr. Hunchback—for that is the name of the Hae‘s correspondent—is the statement that these guns are not in the last bit the worse for their thirty-three year’s submersion, but that, after removing the outside deposite of shells, &c., they were found bright and sound. They are stamped with the date of their manufacture, 1813.
(Polynesian, 5/23/1857, p. 5)
The Polynesian, Volume XIV, Number 3, Page 5. May 23, 1857.
When the warship Bennington returned from Kauai, it brought two old cannons from Hanalei, from the place of Judge Thurston [Lunakanawai Kakina], with the thought of the captain that these would be fine objects for the Bishop Museum to display.
He believed that these were cannons from the Russian fort facing Hanalei, but according to Judge Thurston’s statement, they were cannons form the warship of Lunalilo named Haaheo [Haaheo o Hawaii], and it ran aground at Hanalei many years ago.
The director of the Bishop Museum refused to take the guns, and so the captain thinks he will return the guns when he returns to Kauai.
[This was the ship of Liholiho, Kamehameha II, and not Lunalilo. There was much press about it last year! Go check out the exhibit at Kauai Museum on the Haaheo, showing now!! Does anyone know what became of these cannons?]
(Aloha Aina, 12/3/1898, p. 1)
Ke Aloha Aina, Buke VI, Helu 49, Aoao 1. Dekemaba 3, 1898.