When the warship Bennington returned from Kauai, it brought two old cannons from Hanalei, from the place of Judge Thurston [Lunakanawai Kakina], with the thought of the captain that these would be fine objects for the Bishop Museum to display.
He believed that these were cannons from the Russian fort facing Hanalei, but according to Judge Thurston’s statement, they were cannons form the warship of Lunalilo named Haaheo [Haaheo o Hawaii], and it ran aground at Hanalei many years ago.
The director of the Bishop Museum refused to take the guns, and so the captain thinks he will return the guns when he returns to Kauai.
[This was the ship of Liholiho, Kamehameha II, and not Lunalilo. There was much press about it last year! Go check out the exhibit at Kauai Museum on the Haaheo, showing now!! Does anyone know what became of these cannons?]
(Aloha Aina, 12/3/1898, p. 1)
Ke Aloha Aina, Buke VI, Helu 49, Aoao 1. Dekemaba 3, 1898.