Ahuimanu College and St. Louis College, 1882.

ST. LOUIS COLLEGE

Is our leading Roman Catholic educational institution for boys. It is an old institution called by a new name and located in a new place. The same institution long existed and prosecuted its mission at Koolau, on the other side of this island, and was there and then known as Ahuimanu College. Although delightfully situated, and having many advantages in its favor, it was felt to be too far from the centre of population, to answer fully the purpose of its existence. Consequently, it was decided, a short time ago, to remove the institution to the neighborhood of Honolulu.

For this purpose the church authorities purchased a splendid piece of property from Mr. Roth, at the north end of Beretania street, not far from Smith’s bridge, where they have erected suitable buildings, and established the old Ahuimanu College under the new name of St. Louis College.

The College grounds measure about two acres, allowing abundance of space for recreative exercise, and are planted with all kinds of tropical trees, some of which are fruit-producing, while others simply afford shade and ornamentation. It is truly a lovely spot, and being free from noisy surroundings, is peculiarly adapted to the purpose for which it is now used.

The College building is a substantial two storey brick structure, 60×20 feet in the clear. The ground floor is divided into three class rooms of equal size, by wooden partitions. Each of these rooms is nicely furnished with new school furniture of the most approved modern style. They are also well lighted and ventillated, ventillation being greatly assisted by the wooden partitions not extending the whole way to the ceiling, which latter is fourteen feet from the floor. Continue reading