Fireworks accident #2, 1912.

HAND BLOWN UP BY DYNAMITE

To celebrate the passing of the old year and so too the arrival of the new year, Robert Kaleiheana of Waialua got into an accident when his hand was blown up by dynamite this past Sunday; however his injuries were not terribly severe.

According to the news of that explosion, there were many Waialua people entertaining themselves by setting off fireworks, but what Kaleiheana was setting off was dynamite, and because he held on to the stick of powder in his hand for too long, that was why he got in trouble when the fuse caught on fire until the explosion.

His hand is what was hurt, and the police were informed, and the injured was treated immediately; and from what they say, his injuries were not very severe.

(Kuokoa, 1/5/1912, p. 1)

PA-HULA KA LIMA E KE KiANA PAUDA

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XLVIII, Helu 1, Aoao 1. Ianuari 5, 1912.

Advertisements

Fireworks accident #1, 1912.

[Found under: “ACCIDENTS OF THE NEW YEAR.”]

From down in Waialua it was heard that the hand of that Hawaiian named Kaleiheana was severed and flew because of the explosion of the gun powder which he held. Everyone of that land famed for the sea spray was celebrating the new year, and were setting off firecrackers and other noise makers, and because Kaleiheana thought that the firecrackers weren’t powerful enough, he took some dynamite and lit the fuse; while he mistakenly believed that the fuse wasn’t burning, that was when that dynamite exploded and his hand flew. Kaleiheana is under doctor’s care, and it is believed that he will be saved, but he will be disfigured for the rest of his life.

(Aloha Aina, 1/6/1912, p. 2)

Mailalo mai o Waialua...

Ke Aloha Aina, Buke XVI, Helu 1, Aoao 2. Ianuari 6, 1912.

Some people just shouldn’t play with firecrackers! 1939.

Consequences of Firecrackers

Just as people pop firecrackers on all important days, it is also played with by children every year.

On this past Christmas night in Honolulu, just as fireworks are set off yearly, so too did a young child named Valentine Souza.

But when this child was doing this as usual, he thought that he and the others would hear the blast more if he put the firecracker inside a metal shell [keleawe poka?]

He shoved a firecracker in the metal, and lit it; the fuse started to burn and when it reached the powder, the firecracker exploded, and because of the strength of the blast of that firecracker, the metal he was holding, and because the metal shattered, some of his fingers holding on to the metal shell were severed.

The fingers that were severed were from his left hand: the thumb and two others; those fingers will be short at the tips until the end of his days.

He was taken to the emergency room and there was examined by Dr. Katsuki.

But this is a lesson to those who heed it, and for those that don’t listen, they will get their’s [e lilo ana he mea ia lakou?]

(Hoku o Hawaii, 1/11/1939, p. 3)

Ka Hopena O Ka Hoopahupahu

Ka Hoku o Hawaii, Vol. XXXIII, No. 37, Aoao 3. Ianuari 11, 1939.