The beginning of the “Pineapple Island,” 1922.


Last week Monday, it was confirmed that Lanai was purchased by Hawaiian Pineapple Company [Hui Halakahiki Hawaii] for the price of a million dollars.

The two owners of the island, except for a remainder of but a thousand acres, are Frank F. Baldwin and H. A. Baldwin, giving them ownership of about 130 square miles.

Included in this purchase was the land, animals, and the buildings of Lanai Ranch [hui hanai holoholona o Lanai].

The main purpose for buying the island of Lanai was to plant pineapple, but for the time being, the company will explore planting pineapple in Waialua, and within three or four years from now, they will think about planting pineapple on Lanai; but for now, ranching will continue on the island.

Before Lanai becomes a pineapple island, one of the things that the pineapple company must think about first is the building of a proper pier, and at the same time, to do test plantings of pineapple at different places to see how the pineapple grows or does not grow.

(Kuokoa, November 23, 1922, p. 3)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LXI, Helu 47, Aoao 3. Novemaba 23, 1922.


And more on tsunami, 1862.

Rough Seas.

On Tuesday, the 28th of January, at Waialua, Molokai, there was great rough seas that cannot be equalled. The fishponds from Moanui to Puako were smashed by the sea. The street in Hoonouliwai [Honouliwai] was broken up and horses cannot travel there. On the night of the 29th, there was a large earthquake; the shaking of the land lasted for five seconds. That is what M. Timoteo wrote to us.

(Hoku o ka Pakipika, 2/20/1862, p. 2)

Kaikoo nui.

Ka Hoku o ka Pakipika, Buke I, Helu 22, Aoao 2. Feberuari 20, 1862.

More on the life and passing of Naomi Kekela, 1902.


On the 30th of August, 1902, a most noteworthy woman of Hawaii was called to her reward. Her modesty was as great as her worth—and it seems fitting that some memories of her and the times in which she lived be prepared by one who knew her. Mrs. Kekela was the daughter of humble, faithful, church members of the Waialua, Oahu church; under the pastoral care of Rev. John S. Emerson. She was born in 1826, and spent her happy, care-free childhood attending the common schools of Waialua, in play hours roaming at will, the plains, the mountains and valleys, or sporting in the blue Pacific. But as she grew and had passed her ninth birthday her parents sent her, before her tenth, to enter the Girls’ Boarding School at Wailuku, Maui, or as they called it, “Kula Hanai Kaikamahine, ma Wailuku.[“] This boarding school was the forerunner of all the now successful seminaries for Hawaiian girls. The school was started by Rev. J. S. Green, but very soon passed to the care and responsibility of Mr. Edward Bailey, who managed all the business of the institution, but the matron and teacher of the girls was Mrs. Maria Ogden, who lived in a small two-story house on the premises. Mrs. E. Bailey assisted as she was able. Memory carries me back as I write this, to a visit made to this school in the early forties, when, as a child, I went with my mother and sisters to Maui. Landing from a schooner at Lahaina, we passed a pleasant week with the missionary families of Lahainaluna and Lahainalalo, and took the usual way to reach Wailuku. We embarked in a double canoe at midnight, under the wonderful, clear, star-lit heavens; and were paddled, close in shore all the way, in the shadow of W. Maui mountains, to Maalea Bay, where we landed on the wild rocks, surrounded with tall Pili grass, and soon were tucked away in maneles, and carried on the shoulders of stalwart Hawaiian men up to the mission station in Wailuku, where we met a warm welcome from Miss Og-

(Continued on page 11.)

(Friend, 10/1902, p. 6)


The Friend, Volume LX, Number X, Page 6. October 1902.

den and her school. Most vividly returns to me the memory of the long adobe thatched buildings, the dormitories, the school and dining-rooms, and the sight of that supper table to which we sat down. The company at the small square table of Miss Ogden, in the centre of the room, looking down on the long low tables of the girls, which were completely garlanded from end to end with wreaths or leis, of the fragrant Four-o-Clocks blossoms of many hues, which they cultivated in their own little flower-beds. All the girls stood by their places until they had sweetly sung together one verse, their “Grace before meat,” when they seated themselves all together, on the low backless benches, and attacked their bowls of poi and relishes in the usual way of the land, with their fingers. Always dipping their fingers before and after eating in bowls of clean water, which stood handy to all, on the table. Naomi was one of the girls amid that crowd, and she always retained a memory of “that visit of Mrs. Chamberlain and her little girls,” as her husband and children testify. After the meal the leis were heaped on the heads and shoulders of their guests. To this school-home in June, 1847, came a young student of Lahainaluna Seminary, Mr. James Hunnewell Kekela, (who had been a protege of the gentleman whose name he bore) and was also a native of Waialua. He had just graduated, and here, in the school-home of Naomi, at Wailuku, a beautiful wedding ceremony was observed. The minister who tied the nuptial knot was Rev. T. Dwight Hunt, who was then the missionary of the Hawaiian church in Wailuku. Later, he commenced preaching to foreigners in Honolulu, and was called from there to inaugurate a church in San Francisco in 1849, which is now one of the flourishing churches of that city. The young couple at once returned to Waialua, where Rev. J. S. Emerson had formed a separate church organization at Kahuku, Oahu, and very soon Mr. Kekela was ordained and placed over that church, this same being the very first church upon the islands to be placed under the care of a Hawaiian pastor.

(Continued on page 13.)

(Friend, 10/1902, p. 11)

den and her school.

The Friend, Volume LX, Number X, Page 11. October 1902.

They remained in Kahuku until 1853. Here their first little daughter was born and died in a few months of the first epidemic of measles,—and here was born the second daughter daughter, Maria Ogden Kekela, whose life and death are so well known to the H. M. C. Soc. When the Mission to the Caroline Islands was sent out in 1852, Rev. J. Kekela accompanied Rev. E. W. Clark as a delegate, and soon after his return to Oahu again, came the personal call to himself and Naomi to go as Foreign Missionaries. The story of the arrival of the Marquesas chief Matunui, with his Hawaiian son-in-law, in Honolulu with an appeal for the Gospel to be again sent from Hawaii to that savage cannibal people sounds like romance, and a most tremendous wave of religious and missionary enthusiasm spread all over the isalnds. The writer of this article, (when she had returned in 1854 from the United States from a course of education), received from her mother all the particulars of that wonderful time, of the public meetings, of the impression made by Matunui, of the choice of Rev. and Mrs. James Kekela to go as missionaries, of the great trial to the faith and love of Mrs. Naomi Kekela, in that it seemed that they should leave little Maria behind, of the final triumph of faith, when dear Mother Ogden had said, “I will adopt her as my own child,” their departure and many other facts.

Of Mrs. Kekela’s life at the Marquesas there is not time now to write much. It can be more fully dwelt on in future years when her husband’s heroic race is finished. But she never desired or asked to return to her native land for a visit, not even to see her beloved child! On one trip of the Morning Star, Miss Maria O. Kekela (after she had completed her course at Oahu College) was sent down to see her mother. Many children were born to them in the Marquesas—of whom Susan (who was also adopted by Miss Ogden and lived with her until Miss O’s death); James, who died a young man at Waialua; Samuel, adopted son of Rev. and Mrs. Kauwealoha, their associates, who had no children, who was educated by the H. M. C. Soc. at the farm school at Makawao, and who returned to his parents; and Rachel, educated at Mauna Olu Seminary under Miss Helen Carpenter, are best known here.

In 1899 it was deemed best by the officers of the Hawaiian Board that Rev. and Mrs. Kekela return to their native land, bringing their two youngest daughters and a number of grandchildren, to be educated in Hawaii. At the annual meeting of the Woman’s Board of Mission’s in June, 1899, it was the writer’s privilege to introduce with warm welcome, this beloved missionary mother to the large assembly; and we all listened to her words of greeting and mention of her life service with great delight, as translated to us by Rev. O. H. Gulick. Ten children in all were born to the Kekela family, seven of whom are now living. Nineteen grand-children are living, and thirteen great-grand-children. Mr. and Mrs. Kekela spent the first year after their return from the Marquesas in Kau, Hawaii, where Mrs. Maria O. Martin’s children were settled in happy and comfortable circumstances. Then they came to Oahu, to the home of their daughter Susan, a widow, at Waianae. Here Mrs. Kekela was called to her Heavenly Home very suddenly with heart trouble from which she had long suffered. The funeral was observed at Waianae, Sabbath P. M. August 31st. It was a matter of much regret that from the fact of death occurring so suddenly and so near the Sab-

(Friend, 10/1902, p. 13)

They remained in Kahuku...

The Friend, Volume LX, Number X, Page 13. October 1902.

bath no foreign pastor could attend the funeral, but the two native pastors, Rev. Messrs. Kaaia and Kekehuna [Kekahuna] made the services most appropriate and memorable.

Martha A. Chamberlain.

(Friend, 10/1902, p. 14)

bath no foreign pastor...

The Friend, Volume LX, Number X, Page 14. October 1902.

Introduction to the reminiscences of Hawaiian missionary James Kekela, 1901.


Rev. J. Kekelaokalani and Naomi

On the 22nd of May, 1821, at Mokuleia, Waialua Oahu, born of Awilinui and Kauwanui, his wife, was a big well filled-out baby with the blessings of the Heavens, and child was called by the name Kekelaokalani. This was the thirteenth of their children. Twelve were born prior, and with the [unclear phrase] of that fine offspring.

It was here that that child was raised until he was capable of understanding things for himself.

In the year 1832, Emerson, Sr. [Emekona Makua] arrived in Waialua, and in the following 1833 [unclear] he built a schoolhouse with his wife for the young men and women to enlighten them with knowledge. From among the first women to be taught there at that school was Kahaweli, the younger sister of the mother of that child. And following her, his mother as well attended the school until she was educated; and she began teaching the children the alphabet [Pi-a-pa], the beginnings of knowledge. It was this mother who guided him at that time in the knowledge about God and Sunday School, and it was thus that the sacred work of God was instilled a top the fontanel of the head [piko o ke poo] of this child, which is silver now, as in the picture above.

When that child was thirteen years old, being that he had received the beginnings of the light of true knowledge, he began to travel the width of the plain of Mokuleia for Waialua, with patience and without exhaustion, to receive the good teachings of the elder Emersons. In this year, those fine elders got great help in the form of Mr. Rose (Loke), a haole teacher. After one year of attending this school, Emerson went to Lahaina, and from there he told Kekelaokalani to come to Lahainaluna.

In August 1838, he entered Lahainaluna, and there he patiently remained for five years and he graduated in the year 1843. During those years at Lahainaluna, he learned everything about the true knowledge, as well as actual knowledge; and he remained, following the rules of the school, and as a result of his following the rules, he gained the full trust and total faith of the teachers.

After his days of learning were over, and he received his Diploma [Palapala Hoomaikai], Emerson, Sr. encouraged him to join the school for the clergy [Kula Kahunapule] that was started that very year. There were six students at the time, and Emerson wanted greatly for him to join. And because of the guidance of the righteous Spirit, he agreed, and so began his actual performing of the work of God. He spent four years at this work, and graduated with a Diploma from the teachers, in the year 1847.

When he received his Diploma, he married Miss Naomi, one of the educated young women of the time, and was living under the instruction of the teachers of the Girls’ School of Wailuku, Maui. After they were wed, he was sent to teach the Word of the Lord in the District of Kahuku, Oahu, and there he began his work with patience, with the word of life.

And he thus patiently continued as but a preacher; and when his readiness and progress was seen, he was ordained at his own parish.

From then until 1852, he strove to convert the Koolau Cliffs, and the fruits of his patience were many. When the head Missionaries saw his progress of his work, he was sent by the first Evangelical Convention held here on Oahu in the year 1852 as a Representative to travel to the places suitable to build parishes of the Lord in the Micronesian Islands.

He went to the islands of the South Pacific four times:

1. 1852—Went and returned that same year.

2. 1853—Went and returned in 1858.

3. 1859—Went again and returned in 1879.

4. 1880—Returned to his parish until this past year 1899, and came back, in feeble health.

Here is the entire story of his first excursion, copied from his journal:

[A long account follows. Perhaps i will post it here one of these days…]

¹Kekela was based in the Marquesas Islands, and not the Micronesian Islands.

(Kuokoa, 1/18/1901, p. 5)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XXXIX, Helu 3, Aoao 5. Ianuari 18, 1901.

Hawaiian Pine purchases Lanai, 1922.


Last Tuesday the deal went through for Hawaiian Pineapple Company to purchase the land, the animals, and all equipment of Frank F. Baldwin and Harry A. Baldwin upon the Island of Lanai.

After paying the agreed price of $1,100,000, the retention of the old head managers and the members of the board of supervisors [papa alakai] of the Lanai Company, Ltd., of each of their positions was approved.

All of the rights of the Lanai Company has accrued to the Hawaiian Pineapple Company, and a number of new leaders have been chosen for that company, those being: James D. Dole, president; Kenneth B. Barnes, secretary; R. S. West, treasurer.

The entirety of Lanai is owned by the Lanai Co., Ltd, except for 1,000 acres, some kuleana lands, and all animals, cows, sheep, structures and other equipment of the ranch.

The new company will continue ranching, however, according to what is clearly understood, it will begin to plant pineapple on approximately 20,000 acres of chosen land, when the time is right.

The first thing planned by the Hawaiian Pine Company is to farm on land bought in Waialua this year while put aside the lands on Lanai until the right time comes to farm there. What it must do prior to farming pineapple is to build a pier, roads, and housing for the laborers, and if that happens, then pineapple from that island will hit the market in 1927.

(Kuokoa, 12/7/1922, p. 1)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LXI, Helu 49, Aoao 1. Dekemaba 7, 1922.

Another Wooden Kii found, 1868.

Akua Kii of Kalia.

Most of the people reading Ke Alaula have not seen an akua kii, but a small fraction have seen one, and some of you saw this image that is shown here in this issue. Last year, this god idol was found by the Honorable M. Kekuanaoa on the banks of a fish pond at Kalia in Paalaa Uka in Waialua. That large piece of wood was set down and covered with soil near the sluice gate of that large fish pond. When that big piece of wood was unearthed, lo and behold, it was a carved god. It was brought to Honolulu nei, and through the goodwill of the Alii Elder who owns Kalia fishpond, that kii was given to the college of Kapunahou [Punahou], and there it stands in the exhibition room of curiosities at Kapunahou. When some of you go to visit Kapunahou, ask the children there about the kii from Waialua, and it will be shown to you where it stands.

This kii was probably thrown into the pond of Kalia in the year 1819; that is the year when there was the kii of Hawaii nei were greatly abandoned. Some of them were burnt in fire and some were thrown into the sea.

These ohia wood images were worshiped by previous generations. The kupuna of the educated children of Waialua Sunday School were probably those that knelt down and worshiped this piece of wood.

How astonishing are the actions of the people of all of the pagan lands, who worship idols that are carved or molded by their own hands. That is how all lands are where the word of God has not reached.

Pieces of wood, fragments of rock, chunks of silver, chunks of metal, or perhaps chunks of iron turned into images—those are the gods cared for by millions of people, in heiau, houses of god, mountains, caves, banks of rivers, and in forests; they worship before them thinking that from these gods come well being, wealth, and life in body and spirit.

Here also is a picture of a Hindu man worshiping his godly image; it is a snake carved into a rock.

This is something that pains the heart to see the darkness and trouble of those that don’t know of the God the Savior, the one who came down to save all man. Because they don’t know him, they seek salvation from rocks and pieces of wood and from actions that hurt their very own bodies. When you pray, “Thy kingdom come,” remember the pagans so that the light reaches them quickly.

[Could this Akua Kii be the one now at the Bishop Museum which was found in Waialua and presented to Punahou?]

(Alaula, 1/1868, p. 39)


Ke Alaula, Buke II, Helu 10, Aoao 39. Ianuari, 1868.

Tsunami? 1862.

Turbulent Sea.

On Tuesday, the 28th of January, at Waialua, Molokai, exceptionally rough seas were seen, and there was much damage. The fish ponds from Moanui until Puako were smashed by the sea. The road at Honouliwai was dashed, and horses cannot  travel there. On the night of the 29th, there was a great earthquake, and the earth shook for eleven seconds. This is what was written in by M. Timoteo.

(Hoku o ka Pakipika, 2/20/1862, p. 2)

Kaikoo nui.

Ka Hoku o ka Pakipika, Buke I, Helu 22, Aoao 2. Feberuari 20, 1862.

Fireworks accident #4, 1912.

[Here is the coverage of one of the English papers taken from Chronicling America. Notice how the name given is “Kaleihiena”. This is not to say that the Hawaiian-Language Newspapers did not have typos. Some papers were more prone to typos than others…]

(Hawaiian Gazette, 1/5/1912, p. 7)


The Hawaiian Gazette, Vol. LV, No. 2, P. 7. January 5, 1912.

Fireworks accident #3, 1912.


When Robert Kaleiheana, the blacksmith of Waialua, was attempting this past Sunday to go over the top when he was commemorating the death of the old year and the birth of the new, his right hand flew off, and should he be saved from this unfortunate accident which befell upon him, he will join the Hokake Ipukai club of Waialua [?]. When all of Waialua’s people were in on the celebration of the last hour of that old man that died [the year 1911] by making all the deafening noises that they could. Firecrackers were one of the noise makers that were set off, but to top this noise so that all those above, and below, here, and there of Waialua could hear, Kaleiheana set ablaze some stick of dynamite to make a bigger bang. He held the dynamite for a long time in his right hand, after he set the fuse on fire. When the powder exploded, his right hand was scattered about, it was all shredded until the wrist.

The police were fetched, and the doctor was brought as well. This injury he received was severe, but he will not be in danger, and yet he will be maimed.

(Kuokoa Home Rula, 1/5/1912, p. 1)


Kuokoa Home Rula, Buke X, Helu 1, Aoao 1. Ianuari 5, 1912.

Fireworks accident #2, 1912.


To celebrate the passing of the old year and so too the arrival of the new year, Robert Kaleiheana of Waialua got into an accident when his hand was blown up by dynamite this past Sunday; however his injuries were not terribly severe.

According to the news of that explosion, there were many Waialua people entertaining themselves by setting off fireworks, but what Kaleiheana was setting off was dynamite, and because he held on to the stick of powder in his hand for too long, that was why he got in trouble when the fuse caught on fire until the explosion.

His hand is what was hurt, and the police were informed, and the injured was treated immediately; and from what they say, his injuries were not very severe.

(Kuokoa, 1/5/1912, p. 1)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XLVIII, Helu 1, Aoao 1. Ianuari 5, 1912.