A “fishing” accident, 1913.


How reckless are the lawless, those who fish by setting off giant powder [kiana pauda] without fear resulting from the many people whose hands were maimed and without stopping this activity; because this past Sunday, a Korean was brought to the Queen’s Hospital with his hand blown off and a side of his face falling victim to the giant powder.

It was only because of the quick action taken by Deputy Sheriff [Hope Makai Nui] Davis of Koolaupoko and Dr. Tuttle that that Korean was saved by stopping the heavy bleeding from his injuries earlier in proper time.

That Korean went that Sunday to blast fish with giant power and his body was found by Deputy Sheriff Davis of Koolaupoko, he was lying on the sand on the side of Kaneohe Bay near Mokapu.

The first thing Deputy Sheriff Davis did was to bring that Korean to Kaneohe, and called for Dr. Tuttle; he hurried in answering to the call, and that is how the Korean’s life was spared; he was would have been in trouble because of the tremendous amount of bleeding.

According to what is understood about how that Korean received his injuries: he went with a friend that day to fish, and because he was not accustomed to and very inept at handling giant powder, that is how this senseless tragedy befell him.

A twist of giant powder was thrown after lighting the fuse, and because it did not go off, that Korean went to grab it and check it out, and while he was handling it, it exploded, and his had flew off, and almost his whole face was burnt by the powder.

When the government man found the Korean, found also was a twist of giant powder ready to ignite and throw into the ocean.

[Notice how the dash in the first word of the title, “pa-huia” signifies that the syllable after the dash is lengthened, and also how the passive “ia” is as usual, not set off—today therefore it would be written “pahū ʻia”

(Kuokoa, 3/21/1913, p. 1)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke VL, Helu 12, Aoao 1. Maraki 21, 1913.

Fireworks accident #2, 1912.


To celebrate the passing of the old year and so too the arrival of the new year, Robert Kaleiheana of Waialua got into an accident when his hand was blown up by dynamite this past Sunday; however his injuries were not terribly severe.

According to the news of that explosion, there were many Waialua people entertaining themselves by setting off fireworks, but what Kaleiheana was setting off was dynamite, and because he held on to the stick of powder in his hand for too long, that was why he got in trouble when the fuse caught on fire until the explosion.

His hand is what was hurt, and the police were informed, and the injured was treated immediately; and from what they say, his injuries were not very severe.

(Kuokoa, 1/5/1912, p. 1)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XLVIII, Helu 1, Aoao 1. Ianuari 5, 1912.

Fireworks accident #1, 1912.


From down in Waialua it was heard that the hand of that Hawaiian named Kaleiheana was severed and flew because of the explosion of the gun powder which he held. Everyone of that land famed for the sea spray was celebrating the new year, and were setting off firecrackers and other noise makers, and because Kaleiheana thought that the firecrackers weren’t powerful enough, he took some dynamite and lit the fuse; while he mistakenly believed that the fuse wasn’t burning, that was when that dynamite exploded and his hand flew. Kaleiheana is under doctor’s care, and it is believed that he will be saved, but he will be disfigured for the rest of his life.

(Aloha Aina, 1/6/1912, p. 2)

Mailalo mai o Waialua...

Ke Aloha Aina, Buke XVI, Helu 1, Aoao 2. Ianuari 6, 1912.