A “fishing” accident, 1913.


How reckless are the lawless, those who fish by setting off giant powder [kiana pauda] without fear resulting from the many people whose hands were maimed and without stopping this activity; because this past Sunday, a Korean was brought to the Queen’s Hospital with his hand blown off and a side of his face falling victim to the giant powder.

It was only because of the quick action taken by Deputy Sheriff [Hope Makai Nui] Davis of Koolaupoko and Dr. Tuttle that that Korean was saved by stopping the heavy bleeding from his injuries earlier in proper time.

That Korean went that Sunday to blast fish with giant power and his body was found by Deputy Sheriff Davis of Koolaupoko, he was lying on the sand on the side of Kaneohe Bay near Mokapu.

The first thing Deputy Sheriff Davis did was to bring that Korean to Kaneohe, and called for Dr. Tuttle; he hurried in answering to the call, and that is how the Korean’s life was spared; he was would have been in trouble because of the tremendous amount of bleeding.

According to what is understood about how that Korean received his injuries: he went with a friend that day to fish, and because he was not accustomed to and very inept at handling giant powder, that is how this senseless tragedy befell him.

A twist of giant powder was thrown after lighting the fuse, and because it did not go off, that Korean went to grab it and check it out, and while he was handling it, it exploded, and his had flew off, and almost his whole face was burnt by the powder.

When the government man found the Korean, found also was a twist of giant powder ready to ignite and throw into the ocean.

[Notice how the dash in the first word of the title, “pa-huia” signifies that the syllable after the dash is lengthened, and also how the passive “ia” is as usual, not set off—today therefore it would be written “pahū ʻia”

(Kuokoa, 3/21/1913, p. 1)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke VL, Helu 12, Aoao 1. Maraki 21, 1913.

Fireworks accident #3, 1912.


When Robert Kaleiheana, the blacksmith of Waialua, was attempting this past Sunday to go over the top when he was commemorating the death of the old year and the birth of the new, his right hand flew off, and should he be saved from this unfortunate accident which befell upon him, he will join the Hokake Ipukai club of Waialua [?]. When all of Waialua’s people were in on the celebration of the last hour of that old man that died [the year 1911] by making all the deafening noises that they could. Firecrackers were one of the noise makers that were set off, but to top this noise so that all those above, and below, here, and there of Waialua could hear, Kaleiheana set ablaze some stick of dynamite to make a bigger bang. He held the dynamite for a long time in his right hand, after he set the fuse on fire. When the powder exploded, his right hand was scattered about, it was all shredded until the wrist.

The police were fetched, and the doctor was brought as well. This injury he received was severe, but he will not be in danger, and yet he will be maimed.

(Kuokoa Home Rula, 1/5/1912, p. 1)


Kuokoa Home Rula, Buke X, Helu 1, Aoao 1. Ianuari 5, 1912.