This is an independent blog. Please note that I am nowhere near fluent, and that these are not translations, but merely works in progress. Please do comment if you come across misreads or anything else you think is important.
In K. P. Hall [Knights of Pythias Hall], tomorrow night, Saturday, the people of town will hear for themselves the singers of the Island of Keawe, known by the name “Kamehameha Glee Club,” because on that night, those singers will entertain with their deep voices, pleasing the girls of Honolulu nei so that they will not be able to sleep at night because of the beauty and sheer vigor.
Their fame of this glee club of the students of Kamehameha and Hawaiian teachers is only heard of, but during this concert of the Hawaiian Band Organization to be soon held; actually seen is the swaying of all those who listen to them; the ears tingle, making the singers of this town no match [lihi launa ole] for them.
This glee club has been travelling around Hawaii from one place to another, with much acclaim; songs that have become commonplace [paku-a] and not fun to listen to are like brand new songs when these boys sing them, and that is how they have gained fame. Continue reading →
At eight o’clock tomorrow night, the Haleiwa Choir [Hui Himeni o Haleiwa] will hold a concert and dance in the K. P. Hall [Knights of Pythias Hall], and from what was told to this office, the Choir is highly acclaimed for the beauty of their singing and their music.
There will be other groups as well joining with them singing that night, like the Ulumahiehie Club, Kamehameha Glee Club, the girls of the teachers’ school, and some other singers; the ears will be entertained listening to all the mele that will be sung that night.
The band of Haleiwa will be the ones to provide the songs to dance to that night, and this below is the program of the singing:
1. Instrumental [Hookani Pila] . . . . . Haleiwa Glee Club
2. Solo and Group . . . . . Amy Awai and Glee Club
3. Singing . . . . . Ulumahiehie Club
4. Singing and Yodeling [? Ulalaeho] . . . . . Sam Kekahuna and Glee Club
5. Quartet . . . . . Teachers’ School
6. Solo . . . . . Amy Awai
7. Singing . . . . . Ulumahiehie Club
8. Singing and Yodeling . . . . . Sam Kekahuna and Glee Club
9. Duet . . . . . Amy Awai, E. Awai
10. Singing (Medley) . . . . . Kamehameha Glee Club
11. Instrumental . . . . . Haleiwa Glee Club
12. Song of the Island . . . . . Amy Awai and Glee Club