Wailuku memorial for Queen Liliuokalani, 1917.

[Found under: “QUEEN’S DEATH WIDELY MOURNED AROUND ISLANDS”]

WAILUKU, Maui, Nov. 23.—Most interesting services were held on Sunday in memory of Queen Liliuokalani. At the Church of the Good Shepherd at the usual hour of service, Rev. J. Charles Villiers preached a most interesting sermon, speaking of the good life of the queen and what she had done for her people and for Hawaii. There was a large and most appreciative audience.

At the Kaahumanu church there was also an unusually large audience, many coming from Waikapu, and the Japanese church in Wailuku, in honor of the queen. Revs. L. B. Kaumeheiwa and Rowland B. Dodge spoke upon the queen’s life and how much it meant that after the changes that had come in the government here the queen should have done so much to welcome and assist all the people of Hawaii irrespective of nationality.

References to the queen were also made in the Kahului Union chuch and the Makawao Union church by the pastors, though no special memorial services were held.

On Sunday evening at the Wailuku Union church, Rev. W. B. Coale of Lahaina, preached a strong sermon upon  “The Divine Silence.” He was listened to by a most appreciative audience.

(Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 11/24/1917, p. 37)

WAILUKU...

Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Volume XXV, Number 7993, Page 37. November 24, 1917.

Kaahumanu Church repairs, 1911 / 2015.

KAAHUMANU CHURCH IN WAILUKU IS REDEDICATED.

On Sunday, this past June 18th, after the cleaning and repainting nicely, and the repairing and patching up of all damaged places, the Kaahumanu Hawaiian Church in Wailuku was reconsecrated before a great crowd estimated to be about two hundred and fifty people who gathered there. The heads of the church who performed the services were the Rev. R. B. Dodge, the one who opened the dedication with a prayer. Rev. J. K. Kahoopii read a passage from the Bible, and Charles Wilcox, one of the members of the board of trustees [papa kahuwaiwai] read a short history about the church along with some information about the old meeting hall which was made of pili grass.

According to Dodge’s speech, the costs to rebuild the church reached $2,500, and the remainder that has not been paid off is $400.

W. E. K. Maikai was in charge of donations; and the total collected was $60.00. J. W. Kalua gave a speech of thanks to those who gave the monetary contributions, on behalf of the trustees.

Rev. I. D. Iaea gave the speech of dedication, and and as the congregation listened, the speech was well prepared and was very appropriate for the service that day for the congregation to hear with great awe. There was a choir arranged earlier by Moses Kauhimahu that sang the hymn of praise full of reverence and awe, and the service was let out with a prayer.

[It seems that the Kaahumanu Church once again needs assistance to do repairs! Check out the Save Kaahumanu Church Facebook page for more information.]

(Kuokoa, 6/30/1911, p. 8)

HOOLAA HOUIA KA HALEPULE O KAAHUMANU MA WAILUKU.

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XLVII, Helu 26, Aoao 8. Iune 30, 1911.