Wailuku memorial for Queen Liliuokalani, 1917.

[Found under: “QUEEN’S DEATH WIDELY MOURNED AROUND ISLANDS”]

WAILUKU, Maui, Nov. 23.—Most interesting services were held on Sunday in memory of Queen Liliuokalani. At the Church of the Good Shepherd at the usual hour of service, Rev. J. Charles Villiers preached a most interesting sermon, speaking of the good life of the queen and what she had done for her people and for Hawaii. There was a large and most appreciative audience.

At the Kaahumanu church there was also an unusually large audience, many coming from Waikapu, and the Japanese church in Wailuku, in honor of the queen. Revs. L. B. Kaumeheiwa and Rowland B. Dodge spoke upon the queen’s life and how much it meant that after the changes that had come in the government here the queen should have done so much to welcome and assist all the people of Hawaii irrespective of nationality.

References to the queen were also made in the Kahului Union chuch and the Makawao Union church by the pastors, though no special memorial services were held.

On Sunday evening at the Wailuku Union church, Rev. W. B. Coale of Lahaina, preached a strong sermon upon  “The Divine Silence.” He was listened to by a most appreciative audience.

(Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 11/24/1917, p. 37)

WAILUKU...

Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Volume XXV, Number 7993, Page 37. November 24, 1917.

New Kaahumanu Church, 1835.

PERTAINING TO THE CHURCH IN WAILUKU.

Wailuku, Maui, July 27, 1835.

O Tinker—Rejoice with us, at your former place, because our church is complete. It is an adobe structure—but it is good nonetheless. The length is fifteen fathoms in length. Seven fathoms in width. There are five entrances, and they are complete with doors and hinges. There are fifteen windows with shutters. The inside of the building is plastered.

After it was complete, we consecrated the building to Jehovah, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. On that day, the house was filled—everyone could not fit inside. This is how we went about it.

1. We beseeched for assistance in the work that day of Jehovah, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

2. We read the words of God. II. Chronicles, chapter 6.

3. We sang, hymn 33.

4. We prayed.

5. We once again sang, hymn 52.

6. Words of God were explained. This is the passage. II Chronicles 6: 18. “But will God in very deed dwell with men on the earth?”

It is said,

1. God’s dwelling with man is amazing.

Because—He is a great God.—He is glorious—powerful—holy—he is good. His soul is immaculate—his thoughts are righteous—his deeds are correct. He is a jealous God, and he is loathe of vice.

And man is small—and weak—he is not good—his soul is unclean. He is rebellious. He is an enemy of God. How can God dwell with men on earth?

II. It is highly desired for God to dwell with man.

God dwelling with man will make man kind and truly righteous. This will make man able to keep the Sabbath—to live righteously in his house—to read correctly his words—and to pray righteously to him. Continue reading

William H. Bailey donates grand clock to Kaahumanu Church, 1884.

A Generous Gift.

On the 7th inst, Mr. W. H. Bailey formally presented to Kaahumanu Church of Wailuku, a valuable Seth Thomas Tower Clock for the tower that has lately been erected on that building. It is of the Hotchkiss patent, strikes the hours and runs eight days. The dial is six feet in diameter and can be seen from a long distance. While Rev. Keaweamahi was pastor of the church, the members were very zealous in collecting a fund to erect the tower, which Mr. Bailey was cognizant of, and to encourage them, promised to give them a clock when they had completed the tower. He has now fulfilled his promise, and the people of the town, as well as the church members, are happy in the possession of a good timepiece which repeats the hours through the day and night. The trustees of the church thanked Mr. Bailey on behalf of the church and of the community. Mr. Bailey replied that he felt under obligations to the people of Wailuku, and having lived most of his life there, remembered the old edifice which was now replaced by the handsome structure wherein they were assembled, and felt glad of an opportunity of adding to the comfort of his friends near home.

(Hawaiian Gazette, 9/10/1884, p. 8)

A Generous Gift.

Hawaiian Gazette, Volume XIX, Number 37, page 8. September 10, 1884.

Kaahumanu Church repairs, 1911 / 2015.

KAAHUMANU CHURCH IN WAILUKU IS REDEDICATED.

On Sunday, this past June 18th, after the cleaning and repainting nicely, and the repairing and patching up of all damaged places, the Kaahumanu Hawaiian Church in Wailuku was reconsecrated before a great crowd estimated to be about two hundred and fifty people who gathered there. The heads of the church who performed the services were the Rev. R. B. Dodge, the one who opened the dedication with a prayer. Rev. J. K. Kahoopii read a passage from the Bible, and Charles Wilcox, one of the members of the board of trustees [papa kahuwaiwai] read a short history about the church along with some information about the old meeting hall which was made of pili grass.

According to Dodge’s speech, the costs to rebuild the church reached $2,500, and the remainder that has not been paid off is $400.

W. E. K. Maikai was in charge of donations; and the total collected was $60.00. J. W. Kalua gave a speech of thanks to those who gave the monetary contributions, on behalf of the trustees.

Rev. I. D. Iaea gave the speech of dedication, and and as the congregation listened, the speech was well prepared and was very appropriate for the service that day for the congregation to hear with great awe. There was a choir arranged earlier by Moses Kauhimahu that sang the hymn of praise full of reverence and awe, and the service was let out with a prayer.

[It seems that the Kaahumanu Church once again needs assistance to do repairs! Check out the Save Kaahumanu Church Facebook page for more information.]

(Kuokoa, 6/30/1911, p. 8)

HOOLAA HOUIA KA HALEPULE O KAAHUMANU MA WAILUKU.

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XLVII, Helu 26, Aoao 8. Iune 30, 1911.