Kamehameha Schools new year, 1947.

Students at Kamehameha

There are 24 children from Hawaii Island who are students at the Boys School, and their names are below:

Richard Akiona, Donald E. Auld, Edmund Char, Joseph Hao, Andrew Kahili, John Kalua, Charles L. Kama, Abe Kamakawiwoole, Herman Keala, William Keohuloa, Edward L. Kukahiko, Donald Lindsey, James Mersberg, Calvin K. Naipo, John Payne, John Peiper and Printon Pollack, Theodore Richardson, William Rondenhurst, Reider Smith, William Smith, Gustavus M. Supe, Kenneth Tamanaha and Clifford Victorine.

There are about 984 students in the three schools of Kamehameha; 329 at the primary school, and 59 of them have entered that school for the first time.

In the Girls’ School, there are 240, and 54 of them are new students. There is one student at the girls’ school from Niihau, and she is the first of the girls to enter that school from Niihau.

In the Boys’ School, there are 415 and 120 are new students. This is the greatest number of students in the schools of Kamehameha; it is 50 more students than the year past.

These are only children who are each of Hawaiian blood.

(Hoku o Hawaii, 10/1/1947, p. 1)

Na Haumana Ma Kamehameha

Ka Hoku o Hawaii, Volume XLI, Number 12, Aoao 1. Okatoba 1, 1947.


Kamehameha boys off to war, 1917.

Hawaii Young Men Who Have Enlisted in Navy and Will Go to Coast

Here are two youths of this city who have enlisted in the U. S. navy on board the U. S. S. Alert. On the left is Jerome Fearoi, 19 years old, a freshman student at Kamehameha School for Boys. On the right is George Woolsey, also 19, born in Honolulu, and also of the freshman class at Kamehameha, where he took the machine-shop course.

These two young men, having joined the U. S. colors, are to be ordered to the Naval Training Station at San Francisco, Cal., for a military training prior to being assigned to duty on board a war vessel.

The naval authorities here are securing enlistments in accordance with the recent notification by Secretary Daniels. Applicants for enlistment may apply at the Alert, Navajo, Naval Station in Honolulu or recruiting office at the O. R. & L. depot every morning. The hours are as follows:

Naval Station, Honolulu, between 2 p. m. and 4:30 p. m., week days, and 9 a. m. to 11:30 a. m., Sundays. U. S. S. Alert, 8 a. m. to 4 p. m. U. S. S. Navajo, 7 a. m. to 4 p. m., or at the railroad station between 6:45 a. m. and 7:25 a. m. each morning except Sunday.

(Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 4/17/1917, p. 9)

Hawaii Young Men Who Have Enlisted in Navy and Will Go to Coast

Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Volume XXIV, Number 7803, p. 9. April 17, 1917.


Emma Metcalf Nakuina affronted, 1897.

Contemptuous Act Against Women.

Being that the parading was being held in the uplands of the Kamehameha School for Boys, on the plains of Kaiwiula, Mrs. Emma Metcalf Nakuina went attended by Mrs. R. W. Maea [Mrs. Rudolph William Meyer] of Kalae, Molokai and two of her daughters, Mrs. Mutch and Mrs. Hitchcock. They went and sat in a calm and shady place at the Bishop Museum, atop a area covered with manienie grass, and the son of the one named first, F. W. Kahapula Beckley, brought them chairs. Continue reading

The Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, 1911.


On the 2nd of October, the museum mauka of the Kamehameha School for Boys will be opened, and everyone will be able to tour it without payment during the time allowed.

In the museum there are many things that Hawaiians have not seen, and it is hoped that Hawaiians will see what is collected in this building.

From the time this was built at Kamehameha School until today, there have not been many Hawaiians who have come to tour, but it is important for the kamaaina to see these things before the malihini get a chance to see first of what they only have heard of before visiting Hawaii nei.

In this issue of the Kuokoa is an announcement by the trustees of the Kamehameha School explaining fully the days on which the museum will be opened to the public, along with the days that it is restricted and cannot be visited by all people.

(Kuokoa, 9/8/1911, p. 8)



Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XLVII, Helu 36, Aoao 8. Sepatemaba 8, 1911.

Kamehameha Boys’ School, Bishop Hall, 1894.


The picture above is a picture of the Kamehameha Boys’ Schoolhouse, which stands on the grounds in Kalihi, upland of King Street [Alanui Alii], and its area is 82 acres.

The school supervisors are the Hon. C. R. Bishop, President; Rev. C. M. Hyde, D. D., Vice President; Hon. S. M. Damon, Treasurer; C. M. Cooke, Secretary; Hon. Joseph O. Carter. Financial Committee—Bishop, Damon, and Cooke. Education Committee—Bishop, Hyde, and Carter.

Instructors—Theodore Richards, Principal; U. Thompson, Science and Carpentry; R. B. Anderson, Mathematics and Manual Labor; D. S. Ruevsky, Science, Political Science, and Printing; G. H. Babb, Drawing, Wood Shop, and Military Education; L. C. Lyman, Head of the Steam and Electric Engines; Mrs. Andrews, Matron; Miss Katherine Pope, English Language and Reading; Miss A. A. Snow, Geography and History; D. Kanuha, Sewing Teacher; N. N. Kauhane, Assistant Steam Engineer; S. S. Mahuka, Librarian.

(Kuokoa, 6/2/1894, p. 1)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XXXIII, Helu 22, Aoao 1. Iune 2, 1894.

Announcement for the opening of Kamehameha School for Boys, 1887.


will be ready for the admission of students on the

First Tuesday of October, 1887

Only a limited number of Students will be received this year, and those desiring to enter the School in the future must apply on the 1st day of September 1887.

Each student will occupy a separate room furnished with bed, table, and chair; and a list of items to be furnished by each student will be sent if asked for in advanced to the teacher.

Each student will be allowed to carry out 12 hours a week of manual labor. For industrial arts, two hours a day, and five days a week. Military drilling and physical education will be a portion of the curriculum everyday.

Arithmetic, English Language, Popular Science [Akeakamai], Elementary Algebra [Anahonua], Free-hand and Mechanical Drawing [Kakau me Kaha Kii], Practical Geometry [Moleanahonua], Bookkeeping [malama Buke Kalepa], tailoring [tela humu lole], printing [pai palapala], masonry [hamo puna], and other similar things, and blacksmithing.

tuition for the schooling.


$20 to be paid at the beginning of each quarter.

The students must get prior approval from the Doctor attesting to their good health, and letters of recommendation from other schools.

Examinations for those entering will be held on MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, 1887, at the schoolhouse at Palama, 8:30 A. M. They will show their knowledge in reading, writing, geography, the four rules of Arithmetic, writing in English, and the spelling of 100 English words.

As for anything else, you may find out by asking the principal.


[See also the English-language announcement found in the May 24th issue of the Hawaiian Gazette. It is interesting to note especially the difference in the wording for the part about manual labor.]

(Kuokoa 5/28/1887, p. 2)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XXVI, Helu 22, Aoao 2. Mei 28, 1887.

E o, e Kaleleonalani! Queen Emma and Kamehameha Schools, 1887.


The gates of the Kamehameha School for boys will open in October of this current year. The imperfections of one of the dormitories of 30 x 64 [feet] are almost smoothed out, and another was complete before. These dormitories are two storied, bottom floor and top floor, and each of them have 24 rooms of 8 x 12, and a hallway [keena waena loloa]. One room of each house is furnished with facilities to wash up and clean, and the rest of the rooms are bedrooms, each being supplied with a iron bed, desk, chair, closet, and some other furnishings. The rooms are clean and lighted, and well-furnished for the student.

The dining hall of 29 x 81 feet is a separate building, and it is 18 feet from the bottom to the ceiling, and it will fit two-hundred people. A stone building will be built behind this, which will be the kitchen and and a place to store the food and all cookware and dinnerware.

A proper schoolhouse will be built after the buildings that are desired to be completed quickly are done, and in the meantime, parts of the dining hall will be set aside as school rooms.

A clear spring will supply the school with water and it is by steam pumps that the water will be brought up and filled into a separate water tank, and from there into many pipes laid all over the grounds and buildings.

The curriculum at this school teaches thoroughly the branches of the English language; and outside of that are the teaching of industrial arts. Some rooms of the school house will be set aside as rooms for carpentry, printing, tailoring, blacksmithing, and masonry. The instruction will take place under the direction of a mechanic [mekanika]. Some time will also be set aside for military drilling, physical development, and so forth.

There are fun and cheerful activities for the students. This school sits on a serene site, living there is pleasant, and it is separated from the town of Honolulu.

In a section of this paper, the reader will see the advertisement dealing with this School. This is the educating home established for the benefit of Hawaii’s children who seek education, and built by way of the estate of the late Dowager Queen Ema Kaleleonalani. This home stands in the plain of Kaiwiula in Kalihi, and it is near completion. On the first Tuesday of October 1887, this school will open to students.

It has been heard that the assets of the school will be increased for the good of the children, and for now, parents who want their children to progress forward are being urged to rush to this new home where knowledge is increased. Much benefits will be gained if patient and if the aloha of the royal parent Ema Kaleleonalani is held resolute as well by Hawaii’s children, the one who left this great gift behind. Look at its published notice.

[On this, the day after Queen Emma’s 177th birthday, i thought it would be a good thing  to look back at her role in the establishment of the Kamehameha Schools, a role which she is not recognized often for today.

Notice the difference between the article appearing in the May 24th edition of the Hawaiian Gazette, “The Kamehameha Schools.” (probably what the article is based upon) and this Hawaiian-Language article.]

(Kuokoa, 5/28/1887, p. 2)


Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke XXVI, Helu 22, Aoao 2. Mei 28, 1887.