Lohiauipo’s house disappears, 1892.

That Stone House.

A number of people at Kilauea, Kauai, on hearing of the excavation by the sea of the ancient stone house of Lohiau at Haena, started on Sunday, the 4th inst., to see that treasure, but they were greatly disappointed, as the sea had buried it again after it had remained in view for a week only.

The kamaainas of Haena showed the spot where the relic was, but no one dared to unearth it again. According to them, the stone was of immense dimensions, and required the combined strength of a large number of people to remove it.

(Pacific Commercial Advertiser, 12/13/1892, p. 3)

That Stone House.

The Pacific Commercial Advertiser, Volume XVI, Number 3251, Page 3. December 13, 1892.

More on the stone house of Lohiau, 1892.

A RELIC UNEARTHED.

A Tidal Wave Brings a Stone House to View.

A correspondent from Kilauea, Kauai, writes to the Advertiser that during the recent tidal wave at Kauai, the sea washed off the beach at Haena for a considerable distance inland, bringing a big stone to view. The stone is said to be cut in the shape of a house, every part being complete. The stone was hollow inside, representing sleeping apartments. The writer, however, does not state whether an ordinary man could sleep in it or not. The sea is now dashing upon the house, and it may be totally destroyed if not removed soon. The stone is situated at the base of the Pali of Ke-e, where the remains of the heathen temple of Lohiau now stands. The residents of Haena claim the stone to be the dwelling house of Lohiau, as it answers to the descriptions of it handed down in history. The neighborhood where the ancient stone-house now stands is supposed to be the exact spot where Lohiau’s stood. Not far from it, about three or four hundred yards inland, are the wonderful caves of Kanaloa and Kapalae, whose strange waters have mystified the Hawaiians since the days of Papa and Wakea.

(Pacific Commercial Advertiser, 12/5/1892, p. 3)

A RELIC UNEARTHED.

The Pacific Commercial Advertiser, Volume XVI, Number 3244, Page 3. December 5, 1892.