Sale of oopuhue outlawed, 1945.

Balloon Fish Placed ‘Out of Bounds’ By Board Of Health

THE BALLOON, OR OOPUHUE FISH

The sale of puffer or balloon fish (oopuhue) has been banned by the territorial Board of Health, because of recent outbreaks of balloon fish poisoning which caused hospitalization of several persons, Dr. Richard K. C. Lee, director of public health, announced yesterday. Continue reading

Advertisements

Why is there another oopuhue accident in the same year? 1925.

Eats Balloon Fish; In Critical Condition

Ung Tong Chung of Robello lane and King street is in critical condition in the Queen’s Hospital, suffering from poisoning caused by eating balloon fish or oopuhue. The man was taken from his home early yesterday afternoon to the Emergency Hospital and was later transferred to the Queen’s Hospital. Continue reading