The U. S. S. Boston Lands Sailors and Marines.
(From Daily, January 17.)
Yesterday was an eventful day in this city. At early morning groups of men could be seen about the streets talking over the present critical situation.
About eleven o’clock the following notice was handed about but it was not received with favor as it was considered but a ruse on the part of the revolutionists:
Her Majesty’s Ministers desire to express their appreciation for the quiet and order which has prevailed in this community since the events of Saturday, and are authorized to say that the position taken by Her Majesty in regard to the promulgation of a new Constitution, was under stress of Her native subjects.
Authority is given for the assurance that any changes desired in the fundamental law of the land will be sought only by methods provided in the Constitution itself.
Her Majesty’s Ministers request all citizens to accept the assurances of Her Majesty in the same spirit in which it is given.
Minister of Foreign Affairs.
W. H. Cornwell,
Minister of Finance.
John F. Colburn,
Minister of the Interior.
A. P. Peterson,
Iolani Palace, January 16, 1893.
In the afternoon all of the principal business houses closed up to allow the owners and their clerks to attend the mass meeting at the Armory. A full report of the enthusiastic meeting appears elsewhere in this issue.
After the meeting adjourned many people returned to Fort street, and stood around as if they expected some new developments, and they were rewarded when one of the most important events of the day happened.
About 5 o’clock in the afternoon, the U. S. S. Boston landed about three hundred men. Each man had two belts of cartridges around his waist and was armed with a rifle. The men marched up to the office of the Consul-General of the United States, where a halt was made.
The marines were detached and sent to the American Legation on Nuuanu Avenue, while the sailors marched out along Merchant street with two gatling guns and made a halt in front of Mr. J. A. Hopper’s residence. About sundown they moved to the grounds of Mr. J. B. Atherton’s and after a stay of several hours returned to Arion Hall, where they camped over night.
[The “Daily” here mention at the top refers to the Daily Pacific Commercial Advertiser.]
(Hawaiian Gazette, 1/24/1893, p. 6)