Kauikeaouli’s 100th birthday at Kawaiahao Church, 1914.

TRIBUTE PAID TO MEMORY OF KING

Hawaiians Celebrate Centenary of Kamehameha III with Impressive Ceremony—Queen Liliuokalani Unveils Tablet to Mark Birthplace of Beloved Monarch

(From Wednesday Advertiser.)

The centenary of Kauikeaouli, Kamehameha III, was celebrated yesterday at Kawaiahao Church under the auspices of the Daughters of Hawaii. This old church, that has witnessed so many of the royal ceremonials of the Hawaiian people, was taxed to the utmost of its seating capacity. More than twenty-six hundred persons viewed the unveilling of the memorial tablet which had been prepared by the Daughters of Hawaii to mark the birthplace of “The Generous King” at Keauhou, in Kai-malino, Hawaii.

The tablet was hidden from view by the Royal Standard of Liliuokalani and a Hawaiian flag, both the property of and loaned by Hawaii’s venerable ex-queen for the sacred ceremonial.

The Queen and High Chiefess Elizabeth Kekaaniau Pratt, both of whom are lineal descendants of Keawe, the ancient king of Hawaii, and founder of the Kamehameha dynasty, were seated on either side of the memorial stone in the nave of the church. The palace chairs in which they sat were draped with ancient Hawaiian feather capes of priceless value.

Oldtime Dignitaries Attend.

Back of the Queen and High Chiefess Pratt were High Chiefs Beckley and Hoapili, clad in the ceremonial feather cloaks and helmets of the Royal Courtiers. High Chief Fred Kahapula Beckley, the spear-bearer, is a direct descendant through his father’s side from Kameeiamoku. High Chief Albert Kalaninoanoa Hoapili, the kahili bearer, is a lineal descendant of Kamanawa, the royal kahili bearer. These two therefore, in yesterday’s ceremony represented the spear-bearer and kahili bearer who are shown on the Hawaiian coat of arms and are descendants of the two chief court alii of Kamehameha I.

On either side of the royal court representatives were the kahili bearers in ordinary, sixteen young men from the Kamehameha School for Boys, robed in feather capes and the costumes of the warrior of old, representative of the court attendants.

The chancel and pulpit were tastefully decorated with beautiful ferns and palms while above was the Royal Standard of Kalakaua and the Hawaiian flags, both now the property of and loaned by the Kapiolani Estate.

Continue reading

Advertisement by company that made Kauikeaouli memorial, 1914.

Stone Tablet Made by the Honolulu Monument Works, Ltd

This was actually made out of our Hawaiian Stone, and it is praised as a fine memorial here in Hawaii.

MONUMENTS of Granite [Pohaku Onionio], Marble [Mabala], and Hawaiian Stones engraved and ready to stand, from $20 and higher.

FENCES made of metal pipe, for all jobs, at reasonable prices.

HONOLULU MONUMENT WORKS, LIMITED.

King and Punchbowl Streets, Mail Box 491.

It is open for people to come tour. Mail correspondences are welcomed, and hundreds of pictures of our monuments and their prices will be sent if asked for.

[It seems like this establishment was located right across from Kawaiahao Church, as seen in this picture on page 303 of the July 1912? edition of the Pacific Magazine.

Do check out all the rest of the priceless pictures in that volume of Pacific Magazine!]

(Kuokoa, 4/3/1914, p. 4)

He Papa Pohaku Keia i Hanaia e Ka Honolulu Monument Works, Ltd

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LII, Helu 14, Aoao 4. Aperila 3, 1914.

Daughters of Hawaii celebrate 90th birthday of Elizabeth Kekaaniau, 1924.

ANNOUNCEMENT.

Daughters of Hawaii.

The Daughters of Hawaii will hold a reception on Thursday, September 11, 1924, at 4 p. m., at Hanaiakamalama, the Home of Queen Emma, in Nuuanu Valley, to honor the Kaukaualii Elizabeth Kekaaniau Pratt, for her 90th birthday.

Open to all members of the Association.

BERNICE SPITZ.

Secretary.

(Kuokoa, 9/11/1924, p. 6)

HOOLAHA.

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LXIII, Helu 37, Aoao 6. Sepatemaba 11, 1924.

Beginning of the Daughters of Hawaii, 1903.

DAUGHTERS OF HAWAII.

An organization to be known as the “Daughters of Hawaii” was formed November 18, this year by Mrs. Emma L. Dillingham, Mrs. Sarah Collin Waters, Mrs. Lucinda Severance, Mrs. Ellen A. Weaver, Mrs. Annie A. Dickey, Mrs. Cornelia H. Jones and Miss Anna M. Paris. Its object is “To perpetuate the memory and spirit of old Hawaii and to preserve the nomenclature and correct pronunciation of the Hawaiian language.” No one is eligible to membership who was not born in Hawaii of parents who came here before 1869.

[I had a nice time at Queen Emma Summer Palace yesterday. They have a new exhibit called “Kiakahi,” dealing with the Queen’s travels abroad. Here is one of the first articles mentioning the Daughters of Hawaii found in the English newspapers. There are many more interesting accounts which can be found at http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ and by choosing Hawaii as the state and using the search term “Daughters of Hawaii” (in quotations).]

(Hawaiian Star, 12/7/1903, p. 7)

DAUGHTERS OF HAWAII.

The Hawaiian Star, Volume XI, Number 3654, Page 7. December 7, 1903.

Kahili from Washington Place to go to Hanaiakamalama, 1918.

KAHILI TO BE RETURNED TO THE HOME OF EMMA.

Because Washington Place [Wakinekona Hale] will be placed under the care of Governor McCarthy, as a home for him to live in with his family, twenty-six feather standards were returned from Washington Place to the old home of Queen Emma, in the uplands of Nuuanu, under the care of the Association, the Daughters of Hawaii [Na Kaikamahine o Hawaii].

During the funeral of Queen Liliuokalani, and while her body lay in state at Kawaiahao Church and in the throne room of the palace, those kahili were something the public could visit, however, as the result of an agreement between the trustees of Queen Liliuokalani’s estate and the Association of the Daughters of Hawaii, the caring for the kahili has been transferred to the association. As has been the custom from ancient times, it was during the night that kahili of those types were moved from one place to another, and so it was that the kahili were returned in the dark of night on Sunday two weeks ago.

However, because there were not enough people to carry the kahili and march on the roads to its new home where it is hoped to be cared for, the kahili were put on cars and it was on these cars which the people who held the kahili stood.

When the cars and the kahili arrived at the entrance to the yard of the home of Queen Emma in the uplands of Nuuanu, the kahili were taken by the leaders of the Association of the Daughters of Hawaii, and its care was transferred to them.

(Kuokoa, 10/18/1918, p. 2)

HOIHOIIA NA KAHILI MA KA HOME O EMA.

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LVI, Helu 42, Aoao 2. Okatoba 18, 1918.

A public event at Hanaiakamalama, 2013.

Day at Queen Emma Summer Palace

Although the party held 89 years ago was only open to the members of the Daughters of Hawaii, the event this Saturday, October 5, 2013, is open to one and all. Queen Emma Summer Palace is under the care of the Daughters of Hawaii. It seems like it will be a great event with proceeds going to the organization. Let’s give them support for their care of this historic home of Ke Alii Kaleleonalani as well as Hulihee Palace in Kona!!

Check out our various posts on the Daughters of Hawaii!]

Day at Queen Emma Summer Palace

Day at Queen Emma Summer Palace

Daughters of Hawaii and Hanaiakamalama, 1924.

ANNOUNCEMENT.

Na Kaikamahine o Hawaii.

The Daughters of Hawaii will hold a social, this Thursday, September 11, 1924, at 4 p. m., at Hanaiakamalama, the Home of Queen Emma, in Nuuanu Valley, to honor the honorable Kaukaualii Elizabeth Kekaaniau Pratt, for her 90th birthday.

This is open to all the member of the Association.

BERNICE SPITZ,

Secretary.

(Kuokoa, 9/11/1924, p. 6)

HOOLAHA. Na Kaikamahine o Hawaii.

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LXIII, Helu 37, Aoao 6. Sepatemaba 11, 1924.

More on the Wahiawa “healing stones,” 1927.

THE SUPERNATURAL ROCKS WILL BE LEFT IN THEIR PLACE.

At the meeting of the Daughters of Hawaii last week Wednesday in the Home of Queen Emma Kaleleonalani in Nuuanu, the association decided not to move the “Healing Stones” from where the two stand in Wahiawa; they made no decision to perhaps not move them for a time between three and six months and after that time, to take up again the question of those rocks.

When ayes and nays were asked for per the request explained earlier by Mrs. Julie Judd Swanzy and added to with small changes made by Mrs. F. A. Potter, there were three members who were opposed to the changes.

The decision by the association agreed upon that day, was in accordance with the decision by the President of the Board of Health, F. E. Trotter, that there would be no action upon on the matter of the rocks and that they’d be left where they stand now without being moved. With this decision by the Daughters of Hawaii, the ones who have responsibility over the rocks, dashed was the hope and request of 400 citizens of Wahiawa made to this association in a petition to remove the rocks from Wahiawa.

Another subject considered and decided upon by the association was this: there shall be no monuments built upon heiau. At that meeting, announced were pledges of $588, and cash donations of $1712, and funds of $341.72 for the restoration of that palace in Kailua, Kona, Hawaii [Hulihee].

Because of the rumor that the enthusiasm over the healing powers of the rocks are dwindling, which was known because less people go to worship the stones and because of less donations, this is the reason for the postponement by the association on action to be taken in regard to the rocks, with their belief that perhaps in a short few months the craze of the people over worshiping them will decrease drastically.

At that meeting of the association, there were many letters read by the President, Mrs. Swanzy, in front of the members gathered there, from different people dealing with the stones.

One of these letters was a petition by 400 people of Wahiawa asking to remove these rocks from there; three of the people who signed their names to the document asked that their names not be publicized and to take out their names from the list; there was a letter against the moving of the rocks to the Bishop Museum, where the stones would just be a “Collection” there; in another letter, it was asked to move the rocks to an area near the new road in Koko Head.

Mrs. Charles Clark asked to return these stones to the grounds of Kukaniloko; her idea was opposed by the majority of the members for the reason that the ancient history of these stones have nothing to do with the history dealing with the alii born at Kukaniloko, and therefore, it is not right to move them there. The rocks were moved to Kukaniloko at the order of Galbraith, because he thought they might be broken up where they stood beneath the stream.  The association does not want to return the stones there; they have been something much cared for by the Filipinos and others, and other stones of Kukaniloko have been cracked because of candles placed upon them, and the grounds are full of rotting fruits and flowers; and seeing those things which marred the beauty of the area was why they were moved to where they stand now. Those stones will not be considered again for return to Kukaniloko.

As for the $3000 in the bank, it is from donations made by people who went to worship the stones, but the association has not agreed to take a cent of the money, but it will instead be appropriated for use for works benefiting the people of Wahiawa.

(Kuokoa, 11/24/1927, p. 4)

E WAIHOIA ANA NO NA POHAKU KUPUA MA KO LAUA WAHI.

Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Buke LXVI, Helu 52, Aoao 4. Novemaba 24, 1927.

Hawaiian-Language column in the Garden Island! 1912.

[Found under the column entitled: “LEI MOKIHANA”]

A Monument to Kamehameha III Might be Built.

The Association, The Daughters of Hawaii which just met in Honolulu decided to build a Monument to Kamehameha III, the kindhearted Alii, where he was born in Keauhou, and Miss Ana Paris will be sent there to to survey the site and to report to the Association.

The idea of this Association is to inscribe some words upon a rock that is located where the chief was born, after one side of the rock was shaved nicely away, and knowing that the rock was solid and would not wear away in the future. And if this is not possible, then they will put up a marble monument at this place with proper words telling of the birth of the alii and some other fitting things about him.

[Here is one of the articles under the Hawaiian-Language column of the Garden Island newspaper, called: “Lei Mokihana”. It was edited by J. M. Kaneakua  and A. G. Kaulukou. (And in following issues, also by H. W. Waiau.)]

(Garden Island, 1/30/1912, p. 2)

E Kukulu Ia Ana Paha I Kia Hoomanao No Kamehameha III.

The Garden Island, Volume 9, Number 5, Page 2. January 30, 1912.