MRS. MARY KEALOHAPAUOLE TIMOTEO.
This estimable lady, wife of Rev. E. S. Timoteo, traveling evangelist of the Hawaiian Board, having received a stroke of paralysis, breathed her last on the 6th of September, being then 56 years of age.
Mrs. Timoteo was born at Puakea, Kohala, island of Hawaii, August 9th, 1852. In her girl-hood she attended the government or common school of her native village, then taught in the Hawaiian language.
At 15 years of age, she entered the Waialua Boarding School for Girls, known as Haleiwa, which was taught by Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Gulick, and which had an enrollment of 100 girls, 80 of whom were at one time under their roof.
Returning to her home she was married to Rev. E. S. Timoteo in 1871. With her husband they entered the Training School of the North Pacific, then under the guidance of Rev. B. W. Parker, and later taught by Rev. and Mrs. Dr. C. M. Hyde. In 1880 Mr. Timoteo accepted a call to the pastorate of the Waialua Hawaiian Church [Liliuokalani Protestant Church]; which position he filled, most creditably, for about 18 years. In 1897 Mr. Timoteo was called to the pastorate of the Kaumakapili Church in Honolulu.
In August, 1901, he was called by the Evangelical Association of the Islands, to be a traveling evangelist, and since then his wife has accompanied him upon many of his circuits doing a most helpful work in aid of her husband’s mission of reconciliation and reclamation of disaffected and backsliden Churches and Church members.
Mrs. Timoteo has always been a worthy and true helpmeet for her husband, setting a bright example to the women of every race, and every station. She was mindful of the advice of the Apostle Peter to wives, “Whose adorning let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.”
O. H. G.
[This publication, The Friend, is word-searchable, and can be found on the Mission Houses Museum website here.]
(Friend, 10/1908, p. 16)